Thursday, July 1, 2010

Summer Camp


After I became I Christian 30+ years ago I went to the Young Life Camp on a weekend retreat. I fell in love with “camp” life and wanted someday to be able to run a camp and live that life. I have never lost that desire. I dreamed about different camps and what my job would be for the last 30 years.

I realized immediately as the first team arrived that I was seeing that dream fulfilled. When I dreamt about running that camp it never took place in Africa but I will take it. For the summer I am filling the role of “staff support”, “cook”, “maid” and at times “counselor”. I wake at 6am every morning and wait up every night until everyone is safely in bed. Last night I waited for one of my “campers” to arrive from Uganda. I was able to make her bed, welcome her, and make sure she knew how the shower worked. I love my position!!

They will be here, a new group every two weeks, throughout the summer, just like at camp. Once the summer is over I get a two week break before my long term “campers” arrive for their three month stay. From September to December 1st my role will be “counselor” for six young women that I can not wait to meet. This is the role I am most excited about and the role I dreamt about most often.

I never gave up that dream. It took over 30 years to see it fulfilled and it doesn’t look the same in my dreams. It is far beyond the expectations I ever had and I am waking every morning, even at 6am, loving my life and thanking God that he allows me to do this.