Wednesday, October 28, 2009

It is the rest of the story.







The above pictures are of Lillian and the day we went to pick her and her grandmother up to go visit the orphanage. We went to her home to find her in only a long dirty t-shirt. Her grandmother said Lillian had been waiting every day since we left for us to come back. I had gotten two of the dresses that Diane (thanks Diane) had made and brought them along with a few other clothes purchased in the market. We changed her into a new dress, took her in the village to get her head shaved, and headed with the grandmother to hail a matatu and go for our visit. Lillian held my hand and acted shy most of the trip. When we arrived we went into the sitting room and she and her grandmother were introduced to the house mom and dad. After sitting for a while Lillian began to inch her way to the door. Soon she disappeared out the door and as I checked on her I found her sitting on the wall watching the children in school. When the children were let out for lunch I introduced her to some the the children. When I went to check on her again I could not find her until I went to the back of the compound and found her at the well washing her hands with several other girls. She had ALREADY made friends and was off on her own. I did not see her again until it was time to leave. At this point she was asked if she wanted to go home or stay. Her decision without hesitation was to stay. The grandmother was so happy and so grateful to us for caring for her granddaughter. Lillian is doing so well. She has made many friends and seems to be at home.
I don't understand! I was so worried about her before we took her! I was so worried about the grandmother insisting that she come with us! How is it that a child can be taken from her home and be so happy? Can she truly understand what is going on? All I know is that she is thriving where she now is.