Monday, May 5, 2008

Because it was so interesting

One of my favorite parts about going to Kisii was being able to see how the soapstone is produced and carved! Because the home parties are really my heart it was great to be there with Robert and also to be able to talk to him about all the other crafts and to get our next shipment ready. Now I can answer all the questions you have when I have a party.

It is amazing what goes into the soapstone. It has to be mined by hand and than hauled up out of the hole.


It must be cut into pieces that can be carved.


It is crudely carved and than sanded and washed.



To make one item it may take days for one person to complete the process. In Kisii this is what they mainly do. Everywhere there are shops trying to sell their products. After the elections and political unrest the tourism is down so there is no outlet to sale the soapstone. Robert has bought some land and built a structure on it. He plans to have soapstone carved at this location and to hire widows to do the carvings. This would allow them to support themselves. We would in turn use this as our main source of soapstone products.


I also discovered while there that the Kisii women make baskets out of “wimby”. The wimby is used to make bread but the stalks are used to make the baskets. This is the only place in Kenya the baskets are made. They are woven so tightly that water will not leak through them. His mother gave me a basket as a gift when I left. I have ordered more baskets to be made and sent to me so I can sell them. I am very excited about them!


I loved being with Robert and his family. Learning about this beautiful little village they live in and feeling so welcome.



Pictures are coming. Thanks Faith for posting my pictures for me!!!