Monday, November 23, 2009

Because it is another side of Malindi






One day while sitting in a restaurant in Malindi I began to wonder if the Italians who vacation there ever see the other side of Africa. Malindi’s main tourist population is Italian and the locals tell us that they also buy and sale land there. The resort we stayed in was owned by an Italian as well. What would it be like to come and vacation there, flying in and out of Nairobi, getting a taxi, visiting the resorts, the beaches and the fine restaurants in the area but never experiencing a piece of poverty, struggles and hopelessness that surrounds the town. Even the children who beg outside of the resorts seem to be professional. They are dressed nice and have perfected a “wail” when told we will not feed them. I felt somewhat judgmental of the “Italians” until I stepped back and realized every time I get off a Cruise Ship and tour in Mexico or Jamaica I too am missing the essence of what that community is all about. I only see what the locals want me to see. Because we are working with the local people here and are in tune with the reality of this country I was able to see the needs in this tourist community.

Several people in our group felt a pull to explore further and to see if this is an area that TI would like to expand in. And if they did what would that look like? It is exciting to always see what God will have for TI and to be able to sit back and watch things happen. We will see!