Saturday, September 26, 2009

Because it is . . . . time to meet the in-laws.


One of the blessings of this past year is that my son Luke married Ruth and I am now the mother of a daughter. I love Ruth as if she were my own and I have so enjoyed the last six months of calling her my daughter. Ruth makes my world brighter and happier.
The odd thing about having a son marry an African woman is that nothing is "normal" in the process. One of those things is having to come to Africa to meet Ruth's family. After driving in a matatu for 1 1/2 hours we arrive at her home village and walk another 45 minutes to her home deep in the village. Her home is located in a beautiful area of Turbo. When we arrived not only was her family there but friends and neighbors. Her friend Sally had arrived the day before to help the family cook.
I am still processing the feelings I had when I came face to face with Ruth's mother. What is she thinking? How does she feel? Is she sad? Happy? Overwhelmed? What does she think about her daughter being half way across the world in a place she can only imagine? As I hugged her I felt an instant bond, we are now sharing a daughter. I promised her I would take care of Ruth and that I would love her forever. This is a promise that will not be hard to keep.
Ruth had sent pictures for the family of her new life. As I looked at them with her mother her mother smiled and seemed delighted. But . . . was she? How can that possible feel for her? Does she wonder if she will ever see her daughter again? Is it enough to know that her daughter is living the African dream? Probably!!!
I am still processing the day. It may take days or months. It may even take years! I am grateful to have another piece of understanding more about my new daughter.



Ruth's mom and great grandmother







Sister and baby



The home




Ruth's mom and I